20 Intriguing Facts about Eminem You Probably Didn’t Know
Eminem is an American professional songwriter, rapper, and record producer. He was born Marshall Bruce Mathers III on the 17th of October 1972 in St. Joseph, Missouri. In addition to his celebrated music career, Eminem has also gained monumental success in the movie industry. In this blog, we will take a look at some of the most fascinating facts about Eminem you probably didn’t know.
1. He was sued by his mother for defamation
His hot and cold relationship with his mother Debbie Mathers Briggs launches our series of facts about Eminem.She sued him for defamation in a Michigan court in 1999. The suitaccused the hip-hop superstar of character-assassination in various print and broadcast interviews, implying that Debbie was a drug addict. In 2011, more than a decade later, Debbie won the case against her celebrity son and was offered a settlement of $25000following a ruling by a Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Mark Switalski. (ABC News)
2. He is a man of different personalities
Ina report published by News of Bahrain, Eminem reportedly explained that his different names represented different personas. The Mockingbird singer claimed his title Slim Shadyrepresented his temper, Eminemrepresentedthe rapper,and Marshal Mathers described who he was at the end of the day. (News of Bahrain)
3. He has one of the broadest vocabularies in the history of rap music
In a recent study by CNN, Eminem, Bob Dylan, and Kanye West have something unique in common. Compared to other rappers like Jay-Z, Tupac, and Kanye, Eminem takes the lead as the widest vocabulary rapper with a massive 8818 vocabularies. The study compared vocabulary size, representing the number of unique words across songs by an artist. It also included lyrical density, which represents the total number of words used, and new word interval standing for the number of words after which a new term is used. (CNN)
4. He doesn’t know how to operate a computer
Well, there are many facts about Eminem out there, but this is quite interesting. In a report published by the Daily Express, Eminem revealed that he didn’t know how to operate a computer and was not interested in learning. It is also believed that he hires someone to update his Twitter account, and only checks YouTube videos when friends email them to him.Speaking about the strangest of all facts about Eminem, the iconic rapper once said;
“If I learn how (to use a computer), I’m going to be on that b**ch all day looking at comments about me, and it’s going to drive me crazy.” (The Daily Express)
5. His mother once sued his school
According to the Smoking Gun magazine, Eminem had a rough time when he was in school. In 1982, his mother sued his school over bullying allegations. Eminem was reportedly bullied at the Dort Elementary School by his schoolmate DAngelo Bailey, resulting in nightmares and anti-social behavior. Narrating the horrific ordeals in his song Brain Damage, Eminem rapped:
“….banged my head against the urinal ’til he broke my nose. Soaked my clothes in blood, grabbed me and choked my throat….” (Smoking Gun)
6. He made the first ever rap song to win an Academy Award
If you’re an upcoming rapper, this is probably one of the most inspiring facts about Eminem. Rapping in a world dominated by successful African-American rappers, Eminem didn’t give up; he believed in his creativity that ultimately won him an Academy Award. On the 23rd of March 2003, his famous song Lose Yourselffrom the film 8 Mile became the first rap song to win an Academy Award. Interestingly, Eminem was not in attendance when the song won the award; one of his co-writers, Luis Resto accepted it on his behalf. (The Atlantic)
7. One of his albums became the fastest-selling album
His album, The Marshal Mathers LP, released on May 23, 2000, became the fastest-selling solo album in United States history, having sold over one million copies in a week. The album was produced by the legendary Dr.Dre, and involved other artists like the Bass Brothers, Mel-Man, and the 45 King.
It reportedly took Eminem and his friends over two months in different studios around Detroit to complete the album. Significantly, the album’s introspective lyricism,which also includes Eminem’s story of rags to riches, the critics of his musical journey andestrangement from his wife and family, propelled him to the forefront of American Pop culture. (Billboard Magazine)
8. He once claimed to date Mariah Carey
In 2001, Eminem claimed he had a romantic relationship with American singer Mariah Carey, but she denied its existence. It all started when the two met to discuss a possible collaboration for Mariah Carey’s Charmbracelet album. Shortly after, rumor had it that the two were dating.
In 2002, Mariah appeared on the Eminem show and then in 2005, while on his Anger Management Tour, he played a voicemail message allegedly from Mariah, asking why the rap godwouldn’t see or call her. But Mariah’s friend later responded to the voicemail allegations, claiming that it had been recorded by an imposter. (YouTube)
9. The Beastie Boys’ Album inspired his rap career
In 1986, Eminem’sfirst inspiration to rap came from the Beastie Boys’ classic albums. Afterwards, he started competing in freestyle rap at his school. On the 31st of August 2018, Eminem dropped his album Kamikaze, and his fans immediately noticed a tributeto the Beastie Boys’ debut album. In 2013, while speaking to the Rolling Stone magazine, the When I’m Gone singerconfirmed the group’s influence on his rap career. (Rolling Stone)
10. He lied for his daughter
At one time, Eminem wanted his daughter Hailie Jade Scott to record her part in the song 97 Bonnie and Clyde. It is alleged that Eminem told his ex-wife Kim Scott that he was taking their daughter to play at Chuck E. Cheese, but instead took her to a recording studio so she could add her voice in the song. (Rolling Stone)
11. He worked as a cook before fame
It is impossible to discuss facts about Eminem without mentioning his humble beginnings. According to multiple sources, one of Eminem’s first gigs was a short-order cook at a Michigan family restaurant. While working at the Gilbert’s Lodge, Eminem was fired five days before Christmas, an event that inspired him to write his song Rock Bottom. (Capital Extra)
12. He was the first white person to feature in The Source and XXL Magazines
The Source, a famous American hip hop, and entertainment magazine started as a newsletter in 1988 and featured Eminem for the first time in March 1998, making him the first white person to appear on the publication. In July 2002, he also appeared on the August covers of both the Source and XXL magazines as the first white person to ever do so. (Courant)
13. His electric performance in 1997 got him recording deals
In 1997, he finished second at the Rap Olympics, a performance that caught the attention of many renowned label owners and producers. Rap Olympics, a famous freestyle rap event, started in March 1993.
The original Rap Olympics competition was held at a club named Zanzibar in Newark in 1993. In 1997, a different version of the contest was held in Los Angeles. During the competition, winners would receive a Rolex Watch and $500. Eminem lost the first position to rapper Otherwize. Despite finishing second, his rapping talent impressed Dean Geistlinger of Interscope Records, who asked him for a copy of his Slim Shady EP. The album was then sent to the label’sCEO Jimmy Lovine and after playing it, Lovinewas impressed. He then played it to Dr. Dre, who ultimately signed Eminem to his recording label. (NME)
14. He has read only one book in full
In a report published by the Capital Extra, Eminem has apparently read only one book in full: Make My Own Rulesby LL Cool J. Describing the book, Eminem says it is the only book that wasn’t read to him as a child. The book inspires innovators to keep it real and be true to themselves and those around them as they aim to be successful in life. (Capital Xtra)
15. He paid $100,00 to a man who kissed his wife
On 4th June 2000, barely two weeks after the release of The Marshall Mathers LP Album, the rapper was arrested for alleged assault.As reported by MTV, Eminem settled the lawsuit with John Guerra, whom he paid $100,000.Guerra had allegedly kissed Eminem’s wife Kim.
Eminem’s attorney Peter Peacock told the Macomb Daily that the settlement exceeded what his client wanted to pay but agreed to solve the matter promptly.The complainant had sued the rapper for assault and intentional infliction of emotional suffering a few days after Eminem confronted him outside the famous Hot Rock Sports bar in Warren, Michigan.Heclaimed that Eminem hit him several times in the head with an unloaded gun. (MTV)
16. His best man died in a club shooting
This is the most heartbreaking of all the facts about Eminem we have covered so far. Proof, Eminem’s friend, bandmate, and best man at his second wedding to Kim Mathers, died in a night club shooting. Proof, whose real name was Deshaun Holton, died in the early hours of April 11, 2006 at the C.C.C. nightclub located along theEight Mile road in Detroit. The rapper was shot thrice and declared dead on arrival at a nearby medical clinic. The shooting began whena game of pool turned into a heated argument andthen escalated to a physical altercation. (The Washington Post)
17. He holds multiple records
In 2012, Eminem became the only hip-hop artist in history with the most successful and consecutive number one albums on the United States Billboard-200 Charts. The album Eminem Show also sold over 315,000 copies in its first week in the United Kingdom, in the summer of 2002.
Lastly, he holds the record for being the biggest-selling album act in the first 10 years of the century and the fastest-selling rap artist ever, following the sale of more than 1.76 million copies of The Marshall Mathers LP album, one week since its release in 2000. (Billboard Magazine)
18. He is a philanthropist
The rapper supports many charities and goodwill organizations across the globe. Examples include the Small Steps Projects, The Marshall Mathers Foundation, The Eight Mile Boulevard Association (8MBA), and the Nine Million organization. (Inside Philanthropy)
19. His 8 Mile movie sold magnificently on a single day
Rising above a tough upbringing to pursuea rap career in a genre dominated by African American rappers, this is the most encouraging of all the facts about Eminem. His 8 Mile drama film, where he stars with the likes of Brittany Murphy, Michael Shannon, Anthony Mackie, and his late friend Proof, sold for $40 million on its first day of release.
The film comprises autobiographical elements from the rapper’s life, including his attempt to launch hiship-hop career, and alsoshowcases a culture dominated by African Americans.
After its official release, it gained tremendous overnight success. In the U.S alone, it made about $51 million on its opening weekend, and over $242 million globally. (Michigan Daily)
20. He failed 9th grade several times
Prior to becoming one of the most famous and successful rappers of all time, Eminem struggled in school. He reportedly didn’t take his school life seriously and barely showed up for classes. It is understood that school wasn’t something he was interested in, and after failing the 9th grade three times, he finally dropped out at age 17. (Biography)
These are some of the most intriguing facts about Eminem we thought you should know. If you know of any other interesting fact about the award-winning rapper and actor worth mentioning, please feel free to drop it in the comment section below. You may also subscribe to our newsletter for more facts about prominent people, right in your inbox!
- ABC News: https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=103148&page=1#:~:text=8%2C%202001%20%2D%2D%20A%20Macomb,hop%20star%20son%20in%201999.
- News Of Bahrain: https://www.newsofbahrain.com/epaper/22-12-2017/single/page-13.pdf
- CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/entertainment/eminem-kanye-bob-dylan-study-music-feat/index.html#:~:text=Eminem%20topped%20the%20musical%20vocabulary,unique%20words%20in%20his%20songs.
- Daily Express: https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/189461/Eminem-I-don-t-know-how-to-use-a-computer
- Smoking Gun: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/bully-who-tormented-little-eminem
- The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/02/why-eminem-performed-lose-yourself-oscars/606337/
- Billboard Magazine: https://www.billboard.com/photos/426851/albums-that-sold-1-million-in-one-week
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lppVn7WAoVQ
- Rolling Stone Magazine: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eminem-reborn-inside-the-new-issue-of-rolling-stone-200710/
- Rolling Stone Magazine: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eminem-blows-up-91979/
- Capital Xtra: https://www.capitalxtra.com/features/lists/musicians-first-jobs/eminem-dishwasher/
- Courant: https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-2000-07-12-0007120923-story.html
- NME: https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/eminem-best-rap-battles-2122904
- Capital Xtra: https://www.capitalxtra.com/features/lists/top-hip-hop-facts/ll-cool-j-eminem/
- MTV: http://www.mtv.com/news/1453345/eminem-to-pay-100000-to-man-who-kissed-his-wife/
- The Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2006/04/12/rapper-proof-a-friend-of-eminem-killed-at-club/20b890a2-1842-44f2-ba3b-bd899793be65/
- Billboard Magazine: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7873993/beatles-jay-z-artists-most-number-1s-billboard-200
- Inside Philanthropy: https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/glitzy-giving/eminem.html#:~:text=OVERVIEW%3A%20Eminem%20does%20his%20grantmaking,in%20Detroit%20and%20surrounding%20communities.
- Michigan Daily: https://www.michigandaily.com/content/eminems-feature-film-debut-8-mile-breaks-box-office-records#:~:text=Earning%20a%20whopping%20%2451.2%20million,%22The%20Santa%20Clause%202.%22
- Biography: https://www.biography.com/musician/eminem#:~:text=Eminem%20attended%20Lincoln%20High%20School,and%20even%20studying%20the%20dictionary.